21 May, 2013

Body Love Wellness - a TEDtalk post

I keep starting non-art posts with apologies about being political or standing on a soapbox when it comes to one issue or another. I had to retype this little intro about 3 times, but I think the third time is a charm, and I'm not sorry or apologetic about posting body positive posts.

So, one of the many HAES blogs that I follow had a really amazing TEDtalk by Golda, a non-practicing laywer and a body health advocate who owns BLW. I wanted to share her video not out of obligation to her website or HAES or anything else, but because it debunks succinctly in 14 minutes what I feel like I've been trying to tell my family for years. It doesnt say it from the roll of the victim or from an unhealthy fetish standpoint, it says it from a socio-scientific standpoint: being fat is no more or less unhealthy than being really thin, and the hurt associated with fatness is from continued social stigma on the situation*.
*Don't believe me? Watch the video. Now go to the youtube page and read any 5 comments you want. It's unbelievable.


No comments: