14 August, 2012

My inner Liberal English Pansy & the death of David Rakoff

I thought about putting this up on my DA page since it would get a few more views, but in foresight/hindsight it may be better that it's up on here since it has just the slightest ebb of Political Tartness insomuch as the title has the word 'Liberal' in it. I don't think that would be enough to totally turn people off (and if it does, then I don't think they would have made pleasant company anyway), but I'm trying to be polite as much as I can in my own safe spaces.

David Rakoff died on the 9th after a years long fight with cancer. He was best known as a humor/memoir writer and a constant voice on NPR's This American Life series. He was also one of those people who I have a lot of respect for because his way of talking and writing was both so inviting and so intimidating, like he had to find some way to teach you a Lesson in between bouts of self deprecation. I don't read much fiction, but I do read an inordinate amount of non-fiction, and he was one of the few authors (next to Sedaris & Vowell) who I would pre-order new books instead of waiting for them to come through the store. It ends there in a way; I admired him as a writer and a humorist, but it's not like I ever knew him as a friend.

That being said, when I found out that he had died I think it was the first time in a long time that a 'celebrity death' has put my hand to my mouth and made me think "oh my god, that's fucking insane." I think everyone knew it was a possibility with his illness, but he was Winning The Fight Against Cancer, and now he simply ceases to exist. It's too bad that the world lost the sharp voice of catty truth (and Justice, depending on which side of the political circus you're wandering) of David Rakoff. He was far too young & had far too much more to say.

If you're an old fan or a new fan of David, pour out a drink for a fallen fellow cynic. He will be missed dearly.

No comments: