17 July, 2012

Women and the comic book industry in the US

This post on eschergirls@tumblr -- a blog i check at least twice a day - actually talks about a very real, very very relevant issue in comics today regarding how women's bodies are policed both in the artwork that both Women and Men are expected to use as a standard baseline. I'd like to add more to it, but I'll leave that for later when I'm not trying to finish up some work & nursing a sore throat. (goddamn' hay fever rassa-frassin' corn-pickin',...)

2 comments:

Jenn L. said...

Yep. I totally thought of you when I saw that! It's fucking ridiculous. You'd think by now DC would've caught wind of the fact that they don't actually know what comic readers want and have been pissing off new and old customers alike for awhile now. But... nope. Just keep on drivin' with those blinders on, guys.

D*H said...

Its just insane to me to think that there are comics with women who are not a size 4 - Love & Rockets, Strangers in Paradise, Promethea -- but it's become a notion that the only way to get them into any sort of regular circulation is via an Indie label. It scares me, too, when my own personal project has lots of fat folk in it - men and women!- and I may not be able to get a job just because of it. It's absolutely terrifying.