So, not a lot has changed, as is pretty usual for me. Still at the bookstore. Still job hunting. Still not getting a lot of feedback from portfolios I've sent out. I've been bitching a lot to my friends (and my brother) about my frustrations with illustration job hunting, largely being done in the entertainment/comic realm. The two biggest problems I'm finding is that (1) My portfolio is not nearly as big as I feel like it should be. (2) Apparently, companies skim conventions a ton. And I'm not what I'd consider a 'con-going folk.' Which means they are filling position slots before my freelance/contract requests go through. Oops.
So the past two months have largely been trying to figure out a better game plan - better printed portfolio, better business cards, better ways of trying to advertise, bigger better stronger faster. I've had some really good suggestions from friends and DA people, so anyone in internet land who wants to add to the pile, please do! I'm hoping to keep doing small ACEOs and sell them on eBay since it's pocket change and it's a good exercise in marker practice.
My comic/story project Ex Gemmae Divus is getting the early makings of a webpage as we speak. I broke down and installed wordpress on one of my stub sites and have been messing with that for a while to get a feel for how the mechanics of it work. My only issue so far has been that I'm so used to working in HTML/CSS and wordpress is very PHP/MYSQL based, so I am currently unable to do the amount of personalization I'd like to. But for now, wordpress is a much easier solution than trying to recode another website from scratch.
I have been so so bad about speedpainting and sketching these past few months. Well, 2012 in general. Work has been so draining that i usually come home and pass out, and as always I cycle through 3~4 projects at any given time so I'm almost always working on something, just not always as much (or to the quality) as I'd like. C'est la vie, I suppose. Oh! But remember that picture I did a while back of goats? Totally by chance one of the blogs i follow had a GIF of the exact scene from the show! Cool, right?
Other than that, It's been mainly uneventful scribbling. I haven't had much in the way of showcase work, but here's a small selection of random crap I haven't put on my website or DA. (Most of it is just fanart for other people):

No comments:
Post a Comment