First, Let me place my final straw on the table for all to see regarding Kinkos. I understand they aren't professional printing. I understand if you want someone to understand DPI and CMYK vs RGB files and shit you have to go to an actual printing company, not a room full of high-school graduates with some rudimentary laser printer knowledge.
I am saying all this because I just got done cutting down my friend's invitations to size, and I was embarrassed at what I was seeing. Absolutely, positively in sullen pity over the result of 25$ worth of printing, which only constituted 37 pages of stuff. I feel bad at this point for telling her not to just print the shit off on their inkjet at home. would've saved money and probably would've come out better, too.
Anyhow, I wont tell my friend any of this because she saw them first and still seemed really chipper so I wont ruin her buzz. Also, we both work the same retail job so I know she's also working on a budget of basically $10. But here's what happened: First, when we were dropping off the files and the paper (that we bought elsewhere and they still charged us full printing prices because, hey, why not?) the woman was looking at the things and like "this size seems wrong. what are all these lines?" to which i replied "the file size is 300DPI set at 8"x10" , which will fit our paper. And leave the lines on there, they're for registration." to which she replied "Oh, so, do you guys want us to cut these?" Um, no. No, not at that point we don't, thanks, cause its fucking obvious it took all of your mental capacity to get dressed this morning let alone try to figure out how to use registration guides to cut these out.
So, when we got these prints back this morning, she sent me a text like "the printing is dark, but I think they'll be fine." And I'm thinking Oh god... What the fuck... because I sent her computer comps that would account for the paper color under laser ink. And then I opened the box they were in and instantly knew what they did wrong -- when they ran the PSD file through the PDF translator to size it to the paper, they didn't use a CMYK proof. They used a RGB one. So it basically translated the color according to how it should show on an illuminated screen, not as layers of ink. On top of all this, the files which were sized so big that there should have been no loss of printing data or detail, made parts of the ink stippling on the dogs heads like a fuzzy mess. It looks terrible, I'm just going to say it. I'm furious and it looks fucking awful and now I'm out something to put in my portfolio unless I go out of my way to get one of each copy professionally printed at some small-scale joint because KINKOS IS THE GODDAMN DEVIL.
*cools down* So yeah. The invitations are done and cut and she is pleased as punch. And that's great! It could've been so much worse! ...But the craftsmanship snob in me is looking at these things and just on the verge of punching through a goddamn wall. So much anger. So. Much. Anger.
Hulk rage aside, I've been working on some more EGD stuff. EOH is hard to design clothing for. I've done a few passes but all of them are really horrible. She has a humanoid form and a more mechanical form, and neither is coming to me. So I ended up working more on Heiwa instead. He has a 'I'm dressed for my people' and 'I'm dressed to be the hell alone' outfits, the second of which I was trying some options out with. It ended up being a page or two of story-boarding, none of it spectacular. But I had two frames I liked. The first one is more of a doodle that just sort of spiraled into a comic-ish panel, seen below. The second one is after the fact when he's talking to Sekhemwy. (I fucked the background in the first one -- there is no way, barring the temple complex was collapsing around him, that he'd be seen in front of people without his face more covered.) I don't plan on submitting many drawings for online where his face is in full view.

(/\--- click for a slightly-larger, no words version)
This is what it looks like all gussied up. Not gonna lie: I suck at hands and i am so proud of how his hand turned out here. The living dead girl is actually Deshi, the first time we see her. Without giving much away, Deshi's sort of like a low-level, body snatching Djinn. So the body she's in ain't really 'her'/'it'. He's got it, though. Even if she had a gun shoved down his throat he'd handle his own. He's sort of mid-form between his ushabti here, and could have her compressed into a ball of goo if it weren't for the fact he was a staunch physical pacifist. (Scuse' the hokey language coming out' his pie-hole, BTW. He's sort of an vocabulary snob, doesn't use many contractions and tends to get prosey, which causes many the eye-roll with Sekhemwy and others. Think: Oxford professor with stunted social skills.)
Any input is much appreciated.
Namek art dump is coming soon once I finish up some more sketches and scan em' all.
I am saying all this because I just got done cutting down my friend's invitations to size, and I was embarrassed at what I was seeing. Absolutely, positively in sullen pity over the result of 25$ worth of printing, which only constituted 37 pages of stuff. I feel bad at this point for telling her not to just print the shit off on their inkjet at home. would've saved money and probably would've come out better, too.
Anyhow, I wont tell my friend any of this because she saw them first and still seemed really chipper so I wont ruin her buzz. Also, we both work the same retail job so I know she's also working on a budget of basically $10. But here's what happened: First, when we were dropping off the files and the paper (that we bought elsewhere and they still charged us full printing prices because, hey, why not?) the woman was looking at the things and like "this size seems wrong. what are all these lines?" to which i replied "the file size is 300DPI set at 8"x10" , which will fit our paper. And leave the lines on there, they're for registration." to which she replied "Oh, so, do you guys want us to cut these?" Um, no. No, not at that point we don't, thanks, cause its fucking obvious it took all of your mental capacity to get dressed this morning let alone try to figure out how to use registration guides to cut these out.
So, when we got these prints back this morning, she sent me a text like "the printing is dark, but I think they'll be fine." And I'm thinking Oh god... What the fuck... because I sent her computer comps that would account for the paper color under laser ink. And then I opened the box they were in and instantly knew what they did wrong -- when they ran the PSD file through the PDF translator to size it to the paper, they didn't use a CMYK proof. They used a RGB one. So it basically translated the color according to how it should show on an illuminated screen, not as layers of ink. On top of all this, the files which were sized so big that there should have been no loss of printing data or detail, made parts of the ink stippling on the dogs heads like a fuzzy mess. It looks terrible, I'm just going to say it. I'm furious and it looks fucking awful and now I'm out something to put in my portfolio unless I go out of my way to get one of each copy professionally printed at some small-scale joint because KINKOS IS THE GODDAMN DEVIL.
*cools down* So yeah. The invitations are done and cut and she is pleased as punch. And that's great! It could've been so much worse! ...But the craftsmanship snob in me is looking at these things and just on the verge of punching through a goddamn wall. So much anger. So. Much. Anger.
Hulk rage aside, I've been working on some more EGD stuff. EOH is hard to design clothing for. I've done a few passes but all of them are really horrible. She has a humanoid form and a more mechanical form, and neither is coming to me. So I ended up working more on Heiwa instead. He has a 'I'm dressed for my people' and 'I'm dressed to be the hell alone' outfits, the second of which I was trying some options out with. It ended up being a page or two of story-boarding, none of it spectacular. But I had two frames I liked. The first one is more of a doodle that just sort of spiraled into a comic-ish panel, seen below. The second one is after the fact when he's talking to Sekhemwy. (I fucked the background in the first one -- there is no way, barring the temple complex was collapsing around him, that he'd be seen in front of people without his face more covered.) I don't plan on submitting many drawings for online where his face is in full view.
(/\--- click for a slightly-larger, no words version)
This is what it looks like all gussied up. Not gonna lie: I suck at hands and i am so proud of how his hand turned out here. The living dead girl is actually Deshi, the first time we see her. Without giving much away, Deshi's sort of like a low-level, body snatching Djinn. So the body she's in ain't really 'her'/'it'. He's got it, though. Even if she had a gun shoved down his throat he'd handle his own. He's sort of mid-form between his ushabti here, and could have her compressed into a ball of goo if it weren't for the fact he was a staunch physical pacifist. (Scuse' the hokey language coming out' his pie-hole, BTW. He's sort of an vocabulary snob, doesn't use many contractions and tends to get prosey, which causes many the eye-roll with Sekhemwy and others. Think: Oxford professor with stunted social skills.)
Any input is much appreciated.
Namek art dump is coming soon once I finish up some more sketches and scan em' all.
No comments:
Post a Comment