07 May, 2011

Trading WOW for Minecraft, Wedding Shit, and related 'buh'.

It's been a month so far. I'm doing the "streching 30$ to fill a week" budget thing which means tommorrow is going to turn into a 'please buy my shit' on ebay lost day. I'm so thrilled. But hey, even if I make only 40$ or something its better than nothing, right?

As the title suggests, I've pretty much put my hat up for WOW. I just realized every time I thought about logging on I had a hundred thoughts overlapping at once:
I don't have the money or really the desire anymore to mess with it. I got burned too many times with story-lines. People's schedules don't overlap in a way that makes the game playable. It's too time consuming. I still haven't bought cataclysm. I don't have the wanton desire to get fucked around emotionally anymore. I hate sharing 50% of the servers with 16 year old boys.
So I just quit my subscription. Who knows, maybe I'll pick it back up in a few years or something, but I just don't have it in me to try and fit in 8 hours of game every day. I have other more important shit to accomplish right now, numero uno which is getting EGD and my online 'portfolio' up.

This isn't to say I still don't have my vices. I sort of traded in WOW for minecraft, of which my brother and I have been playing on our own private server while the game is still in beta. I like it. I like that I dont have to grind for anything I don't want. That I don't have to deal with dickheads and long laundry lists of things to accomplish and unending emotional fuckery. It's a game without a point. It's marvelous.

I've also been working on helping my work BFF with getting her wedding designed. I'm pretty sure she has the flowers and stuff, but I told in attempts to save money I'd help design and print her shit basically pro bono. I'm not a wedding person at all, but she's been really good to me as far as a friend and I know her and her fiancé have jumped a lot of hurdles to finally make the vow. I'm excited, and I feel a real jolt working on this together with her. Her invitations are going to be sort of victorian / late 19th century inspired, with these two cameos we're doing of her dog as a bride and groom. (she has an adorable whippet whom i am absolutely smitten with. I wants to steal her and smoosh her wee little head!) I came up with a comp for the grooms head, and got an okay to start working on the lady's head. I have to get crackin' on this stuff because we have to have these invitations out before her wedding in september, and we havent even shopped for paper yet. (or ink, god forbidding we need more than i have in my arsenal.)

Also turns out my friend who is working on the comic project basically got f'ed-in-the-a. He went to go get it set off to the printer's and at the last minute a bunch of people basically skipped out on him after promising to do (what sounded like it amounted to?) 15~25 pages of extra. So he's stuck needing filler. And I was like "sure. I can't promise it'll be colored or anything fantastic but if all you need is filler for this thing I can do at least one picture." So now I'm on board with that too, but it doesn't feel like too much of a big deal because it's only one picture with no expectations, and he's already behind schedule so it's not like I can screw him over by being 'late'.

...aaand its 3am.
I am getting in the bad habit of updating when I'm all wired still from the day.

5 comments:

Jenn L. said...

Oooh that dog looks awesome, you captured the style so perfectly! I hope you'll show us more imagery from the whole thing when it's all completed! I'd like to see how the whole theme ties together.

I never got into WoW, just because I knew it would be a time and money sink for me. People always asked me to play with them and I probably missed out on cultivating some friendships, but in the end I'm probably better off.

Anonymous said...

ohmygod MINECRAFT♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

I've been playing on the Shaftlands server for a while with the bf. God, I put so much time into that game, it's the first mmo that's kept my interest this long since Ragnarok Online so many years ago. @_@

D*H said...

@Jenn: I'm glad you like the doggy! I guess when she showed her fiancé he got all excited so I was like "yes. i am on top of the world." And, yeah, don't feel bad about 'missing out' on WOW. most of what you missed out on was just drama.

@Holly: I wish i had more time to put into the mechanics of the game, like making traps and recreating things, etc. I'm happy to piss around when I can, what few hours a week it is. ><;;

Polar bear said...

I can sympathize on WoW. I let my account lapse in February as a temporary thing, which is becoming more and more permanent. I can't say I miss it, to be honest. I keep hearing about Minecraft, but I've got too much other stuff going on to start up another game. As it is, my free time is sapped by Portal 2.

And I really like the dog!

D*H said...

@Pbear: Truthfully, the only two people that kept me in that game were you and my brother. (Reavyn did to a large degree fr the first 3 years, but i think near the end he was going through too much personal stuff to be a healthy companion anymore.) I love puojan and zin. I love maha and rasp and jawaa, but it was like every time i turned around everyone around me was had a drama gun pointed at me. and i realized i was getting panic attacks at the thought of even signing on.

It makes me to happy to see you blossom and grow with nature and your awesome job with bikes like you have. I'm glad you're doing things that make you happy, too, and yes, i've heard portal 2 is so fun that people can get way lost in it. (:3)

*/ihug*