15 January, 2010

yes, thank you.

This was something that sort of fell into my lap today, right on the heels of my post about In-Game female shaming in WOW:




One thing i might add in that I don't think was covered is that while all of this is good and just, I don't think that many women gamers have the feeling that this will ever come to pass in a large scale, because the problem of women's viability as only sex objects or only hyper-emotional servants isnt relegated to only the world of geek. Sexism and Mysogenism are hand and hand, and more importantly, they are an unspoken, understood social moire that's been sewn into the western social structure. Trust me when I say I'd love nothing better than to see women who are actually wearing clothing and not a BDSM fetish uniform (coming from a BDSM supporter, btw).
I also think its a little bombastic to assume that women need to 'prove' their gaming requisites, like trying to attend to the male gaze to get into a club that is otherwise open and welcoming (except for homosexuals, of which it is largely still a part of the deep south in that respect.) I'm sorry, but I enjoy playing games to whatever degree I feel like playing them, and I don't feel like I therefore have to become part of a large litmus test of what other women do or don't enjoy, how they conduct themselves, etc. I experience this a lot as a comic book geek too, and my endless tales of sexism from customers while im running the comic book section at work could be written into a small library.

Heres the gist: for women gamers/geeks/what-have-yous to feel like we're actually being included into the sub culture in a non-patronizing, non-ironic way, we need to work at a higher level than just seeing that other male gamer-geeks can see us as human and not some semi-interesting 'cum dumpster'. We need to change how society at large sees and treats women and women's rights. Otherwise, we're just slowly sloshing water out of a quickly capsizing ship.

3 comments:

Polar bear said...

I can't really add much other than my general agreement. I just find it amazing that people (men) can look down on other people (women) the way they do, like they're a lesser class. It's not right in my mind. I do have kind of a long rant about this particular subject, but it's long, strays off topic, and ends up saying "Why can't we all just love and respect each other equally?"

Ivoryghost said...

Hey hey,

Thought Id through in my opinion and for the most part I guess my problem really isn't with the idea of marketing it to make women think its not patronizing them, its more the title of "Girl" gamer. I have had both 13 year old boys and 20 something year old women scream things into my ear while playing an online shooter and I really don't see the ratio of men and women that disproportionate. To me it just seems the term itself is to keep up the idea of the "Boys club."

Anonymous said...

I'd seen this video before, and it makes some excellent points. I usually don't think about this stuff, though, cuz I consider myself a weirdo that can't fit in with girls to save my LIFE, but I have an okay time geeking out over video games enough to hold a conversation with a guy. Really, I don't give a damn what guys think of me, and if they don't want to talk to me, that's just as well, because I'd rather play video games than talk with guys. XD;

I kick my brother's ass in halo multiplayer... with only rocket launchers available. 8DDDDD