04 August, 2009

crafty crafterstein

I've sort of inherited a lot of things from my grandmom's shop, including a slow cooker* which I am currently using to cure some essential oils via hot-press method (I don't have the money or the patience to use/purchase a oil distiller) and an old paper trimmer. The paper trimmer was a great gift since I've considered buying one for ages now, but I kept putting it off since the nice guillotine ones like the one I received tend to be so expensive. I have a sharpening stone I use for my knives at home which was great for a time like this when I had to de-rust and hand sharpen the blade. After some cleanup and TLC, I have my own heavy-duty paper cutter!





Also, guess who finally finished shellacking her peach crates? AND whose' server is no longer being a dickface McGee?



I've also been working on a picture for a little bit over the course of a week when I get around to it. I'm trying to force myself to at least try and do some sort of painterly thing in photoshop to test the brushes and such. So far, I can get really close to painter-X-ish'-blending, but it is definitely a different critter. Whereas Painter X's coding is to treat color as wet until you dry it, photoshop is like a predominantly-dry painting application; the difference between the two apps (besides brush handling) is how color responds to being painted over/around. Anyway, heres the WIP and where I know at least two people watching this point at the screen and go "wait a minute,... isn't that...?"






...The short answer is yes and no. Kobu/Heiwa has found his way into almost everything I've been into as far as fan-characters for the last 5 years or so. He's one of those characters that I beat myself into a pulp trying to develop, and when the work was finally done and I had written out the synopsis to his past/present/possible future, I was no longer into the StH fandom (and really, thank god. I needed to outgrowm it). But it also ment I no longer had an applicable outlet to use him in, and in his un-adulterated form, I think about the closest I'll ever get to developing him is in illustrations here and there.
That being said, While I was in college and really, *really* giving a second idea to restarting JCRM since I think it was generally a good idea, I was also really into printmaking and considering sort of making a more mature/'indie*' version of a similar comic commentary on religion and racism. I know I've mentioned it a few times on DA/PSO -- "$0.35 prints" -- and I think thats another idea where I planned it out really huge and then it just went 'phft.' The problem wasnt a lack of interest, it was that the Kobu/Heiwa port character became the focus of all my planning, when he really was supposed to be like a side-character at best. (His storyline is *still* more developed than my main character's, K.K.) Its my curse with him, lol. I am so infatuated with his character, regardless of his mutation, that I get major creative blinders on. This must be how Linsner feels every time he has to create a new, non-Dawn series.

Only highlight this part if you want to weed through a small character synopsis:
His new form is this philosophy professor named Hakeem Saleh, A twice transplanted Muslim(first from Egypt-->Britian, then Britian-->USA. He retained his British accent). His story largely rotates around the stuff he has to deal with as far as students at the small liberal-arts university where the comic takes place and the interaction with his family and Hindu inlaws. (Indian Hindus, especially the more conservative ones, tend to harbor a bit of a grudge against Muslims because of the history with Mogul reign in India's history. So basically, his in-laws think he's not worth their daughters' time.) His wife was a port of Deshi (remember her? no? me either, really) named Dita and they had 3 kids who were basically ports of Jivamukta/Deshi, Alexander II, and Kobu... ...which I guess makes it double sad because he manages to be born into the same series in two different forms.) Hakeem is a lot more realistic than Kobu could be based on the fact that he actually has emotions beyond just being tired and quietly insulted. I could jsut keep pratling on, watch me; He collects Adidas and Nike sneakers, comic books, has a bro-crush on Ben folds, plays piano but can barely sight-read... you're still reading this shit?...

D:!

*I didnt take any pictures of the slow cooker because there's really nothing to see. Right now it just looks like a compact crock-pot with oily sludge in it.
* I generally avoid using that buzzword. sorry if your eyes now = burning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see you have a sketchblog up. As far as getting a painterly look in Photoshop, the best thing I know is adjusting the brushes to have a bit more jitter/randomness to them. I personally don't blend myself in PS though I know you can use the healing brush tool as a blender. I generally do the "Sample Colors at Low Opacity and Paint" method to for blending. The blending tools in PS only work well if you do it on one layer too.

I generally have been using Painter myself since in terms of industry standard software Painter's blenders still can't be beat - though Paint tool Sai (windows only unless you run bootcamp or windows on Mac) has Painter and Photoshop beat in terms of ease of use, blending and a small footprint.

ZhuZhu on deviantart has some interesting brushes for Photoshop too.

What is funny is that even though I realize and mention all these blenders, I barely use any of them anymore and try to use my intuos4 to paint. I also know how to adjust the pressure curve in intuos to get a better response too.

Take care of yourself,

QT Melon - http://qtnoodling.studiokemono.net
http://www.twitter.com/QTMelon
http://community.wacom.com/people/qtmelon