So, finally got the EGD site up. One of the perks to only being on part-time duty at my new job for a month or two is getting a little bit of extra buffer time to chip away at projects. Like I was saying in a previous post, in an attempt to save some time, I've been knitting a lot of scarves. The picture shows three of seven that I've done, and I'm working on the eigth right now, and waiting on payment for a ninth. They go relatively fast, but it's still a solid 2~3 hours to make one, which can be sort of frustrating when I'm always making a mental inventory of stuff i have yet to accomplish before the end of the month(s). Heh, better get it done before the 21st. Wouldn't want to get to the end of the world and not have all my ducks in a row.
I finally got my guru.com page set up, too. It had been sort of incomplete for a while, but I think people have a way better chance of getting jobs on there if all of the little section dingles are filled out. It also gave me a reason to take a picture of my computer setup. It's really nice because in the spring, I'm right next to the back porch door, and I can open it up and get blasted with the fresh air. The only thing that sucks is that the door is a west facing one, so as the sun goes down I usually have a 60 minute window where I get blinded by the sun. But overall I'm really happy about it, and happy with my new apartment situation. (Well, new since May 2012 at least. It still seems new to me).Speaking of getting set up with companies, I am giving Rittenhouse Archives another go. I sent another probe email and actually got a response back this time, so I'm feeling optamistic. They want a sampling of my work, so I'll hopefully have those sent off to them by the end of the month.
Also on the topic of comic dorkery, I've still been trying to work on my little resin jewelry side project. I always wanted to have a blue lantern ring, but you either have to get them in sterling silver (which makes them expensive as fuck)
or you can buy the original rings released with the Blackest Night storyline, which were cheaply made and in mens sizes. I wear a woman's size 6, which is like child-size fingers. The only way I was going to get one was to basically make my own, which I have been. For as much as I've worked with resin in other jewelry projects, working with hard-cast resin means that it has to use a chemical-heat reaction to set the resin. This also means that because of the heat it puts off, you have to deal with bubbles that you can't really get completely rid of because they are a naturally occurring part of the the resin setting. I actually have a ring i've worn a few times that isn't photographed above, and it turned out pretty well. I was hoping to have some rings as gifts to people who initially contributed to the first issue of the BLC fanzine, but I'm thinking at this point I'm just going to return the donations people gave me for it and fold it down. I think the problem is that a lot of the initial fans of the Blue Lanterns were in it only seasonally, so they've moved onto bigger and better things by now. And that's okay, there isn't any judgement in that statement. I just don't feel like chasing and bugging and begging people to submit stuff for the next 6 months in an attempt to get the issue printed. From here on out, RMS + EGD are going to be where I devote most of my time. I'm still sitting on the decision in case for some reason I get an influx of submissions by March or something, but I've sort of decided if it's still DOA by the end of January, I'm just going to put up an apology statement and let it go away. At least people can still go to the BLC Fanpage @ DevArt. (Even that one is basically gone to the wayside. I guess Hope is a passing emotion after all.)Other than that, not a whole ton of news. I work a Apple now, which has been a lot of fun. It's crazy when you get a job at a company who wants you there as opposed to acting like it's only putting up with you. The whole staff is so full of talent and energy, I've been super excited so far! I've always been a Apple gal, so it's really neat to work with something I've had a life-long love affair with. For all the shit people give the company and the products, if it wasn't for the innovation of Steve Jobs and The Woz, computers and handheld devices would still look like garbage and be slow as can be. Frogman actually made a really good post about it, yesterday.
Here, have a picture set of my ancient old cat. And yes, she's missing a bunch of her teeth. She's 16.


No comments:
Post a Comment