05 March, 2011

Art Dump + random news-ery.

Thank you (again) for everyone being so understanding about my depressive episodes. For the most part, my sertriline + aprazolam do the trick, but I think lately the stress has been just at the 'right' level for long enough that I had a week or two of crap sandwiches. The comic section has picked up like no ones business -- which is actually awesome because I've been able to pick up so many trades I needed to fill in my storyline holes for JLA + SW:Legacy -- but it has also meant that the amount I have to accomplish keeps getting bigger and bigger. Unfortunately, retail being the beast that it is, I don't have a ton of extra time to sink into getting the comic area to the glory I want it to be. That coupled with my continued debt battle has been just about as fun as you'd think it is. Then again, so many people are in severe debt right now (many people worse than me, even) that my complaints seem too hollow to get into graphic detail with on here.

So, can I just take a quick second to say that watching Charlie Sheen's implosion has become a total fascination? It's sad (as he's obviously on drugs and has severe personality disorders, coming from someone with a family history of both problems), but it's hard for me to feel too bad about the amount of shit he's getting because of it because he is such a major blowhard. I think half of us spent work today talking about "bi-winning" and how we're "...on a totally different terrestrial plane..." Nothing like a coke-fueled public meltdown to bring some sorely needed schadenfreude back into one's life!

I'm also feeling the itch for summer shoes. My bro + I are going to Myrtle Beach to see my mom this summer, and I'm already looking for cute shoes to wear while we're out and about. Payless has a few cute options I'm looking at -- its so hard to buy shoes when your feet are between a Girls US 3 and a Women's US 5.

Anyhow, I've been working on a lot of art offline, but most of it has just been determining base character designs for EGD. It's a lot of fun in that you get to spend lots of time designing colors and costumes, but boring in that the best way to show off designs is by using really basic, stale poses for the characters in them. So here's a small art dump of designing stuff. (Nothing impressive, but at least I'm getting back to my 2011 EGD art goal!)



I think this is closer to the final design for 'Tarot'. The part of the image that is blocked out is sort of spoiler-ish, so maybe later. I like the idea of Heiwa's 'mobile' form being a little bit more alien and light.


Working out some of Deshi's outfit. Although I'd love to go the square Enix route and just put a shit-ton of fun little details on each character, I'm trying to stay realizstic in the off-chance I end up making this into a long-term comic project. I love minutia in costume designs, just not when i'm the one have to do 50 panels of themat a time.


Lots of costume designing stuff, mostly for Sekhemwy (formerly 'Sekkaiko'). She's EOH's twin sister, one of Heiwa's daughters. Her skin is a very pale white because of an extraction of her skin's color by the Mechanical Superhive that EOH now facilitates. (they both used to be the same coffee color as Heiwa until they were about 15~16 years old when said operation happened.) She is now a product of induced full-body vitiligo which raised her chances of skin cancer high enough that she wears a UV protected catsuit at almost all times. She inherited more of Heiwa's features, while EOH inherited more of her mother's features.

I think that's basically it for tonight. I'm about to pass out, so everyone have a wonderful night/day and hopefully I'll have some more completed looking stuff in the near future.

2 comments:

Polar bear said...

It's funny, I didn't really know who Charlie Sheen was until he hit the news reels recently. (I want to say there was a bit in the local newspaper about him coming through town when all this started?)

Anyways, I'm not sure what EGD is at the moment, (Besides something Charlie Sheen is on? Sorry... >.>) but I like your character designs. Very neat!

D*H said...

@PB: Yeah, I was never a huge fan of him but I always knew about him through his brother, emilio estavez (and how much crap they got from it on SNL in the early 90's). But watching him shit his life and career away has been both baffling and sadly enjoyable.

EGD (ex gemmae divus) is an original sci-fi/fantasy story I've been working out in my head for a little over a decade. I never had a name for it until just the last year, and now that I have more of a direction for it i'm going to start developing it into at least an idea I can base a website around. I'd love to do a comic or something, but you know me... always makes plans, never finishes them.