I had this book on pre-order for what seems like ages. In actuality, it was more like 4 months, but as a devout Adam Hughes fan I about died to know he was going to have a proper art book out.Long story short, the book came today.
It took me 2 full hours to comb over the whole thing in all of its beautiful, fantastic, equally-thoughtful-equally-self-deprecating glory. He's smart! He's human! He's funny! He's so talented I'd like to break off all of his fingers purely out of spite! The most amazing parts of the book are his helpful artist tips scattered throughout that come off as just passing commentary. I feel like these beautiful easter eggs were in there purely for other artists to learn from. If I could ever get his home address, I would write him a thank-you note just for being alive. He is such a talented inspiration.
Also: In his favorite artists section, his tastes and mine lined up 100%. It was uncanny. It made me feel like I had some sort of association to this legend (even though im so so below him i probably wouldnt be allowed to even clean dog-shit off his sneakers). That fact seems unremarkable until I say that he mentioned J.C. Leyendecker, which made my heart just cry out in happiness. i found out about Leyendecker when one of his books (the one the link goes to) came through the store, and I have been building a library of his works since then. The problem with J.C.L. is that there are few books that actually have a long run of his works, and the ones that do often miss his early freelance advertisements and/or have somewhat faulty information about his career. I'm only looking for his art, so the career stuff is second fiddle to art reproductions, but it does take away from the authenticity a little bit.
Anyway,...
BUY!
No comments:
Post a Comment